Let me guess, you are tirelessly looking for the best WordPress backup plugin for your website.
In all honesty, this isn’t a wild guess. Instead, if you have landed on this blog, it is quite obvious that you want to keep your site’s data safe.
Trust me, there are plenty of hackers and prying eyes on the internet. And, each of them looking to break through your defense.
Yes, securing your website with reliable measures is only half step. What you also need is a way to keep your website’s content backed up at a secure location.
Normally, hosting services may offer daily or weekly backups. But if they don’t, you should install the best backup plugin for WordPress.
Now, comes the even more difficult part – there are plenty of WordPress backup plugins available in the repository. Which one to pick?
Well, to help you make a sound decision and pick the plugin that suits your needs, I am going to explore the 5+ best WordPress backup plugin compared in 2020.
But before we dip our feet in the sea of more information, allow me to educate you about –
What Is WordPress Site Backup Plugin?
As the word “backup” suggests, WordPress backup plugins help you create a complete backup of your website.
As difficult as it may sound, believe me, these backup plugins only take a couple of clicks to create a full backup of your site.
More often than not, you may also wonder –
Is WordPress Backup Plugin Really Important?
Imagine a worst-case scenario where your website gets hacked and all of its progress and data have been lost.
Would you prefer to build it from scratch again or would you want to restore it to its latest version?
Obviously, everyone would prefer the latter part. Hence, to achieve such power, you’d need the best WordPress backup plugin.
Now coming to the most important part –
How To Pick The Best WordPress Backup Plugin?
As said earlier, the WordPress repository is filled with plenty of backup plugins, each claiming to be the best.
But you should consider picking the plugin that offers –
- Complete site backup
- Database backup
- Saving data at remote locations or cloud servers
- Facilitates automatic or manual backups
- 1 click file or data restoration
Keeping the above points in mind, let’s explore the best WordPress backup and restore plugins in detail…
Let me get this straight to you – UpdraftPlus is literally the best WordPress backup plugin available in the market.
It is basically a freemium backup plugin that excels in all sorts of backup and restoration services. Because of such efficiency, UpdraftPlus is being used by over 2 million websites. Some of its most notable customers include Princeton University, NBA, Microsoft, etc.
Pros Of Using UpdraftPlus
- It is built for all types of WordPress sites and also works for WordPress multi-site.
- UpdraftPlus can also backup sites with size up to 100GB.
- From backing up WordPress files to external databases, UpdraftPlus does it all.
- This plugin can backup your site on an hourly, daily, weekly or monthly basis.
- This best backup plugin for WordPress offers remote storage options like Google Drive, Dropbox, Amazon S3, etc.
- UpdraftPlus also encrypts your database backups for more security.
- Facilitates one-click restoration of backed up files and data.
- This plugin also offers many advanced features with its premium version.
As I have said earlier, UpdraftPlus is a freemium WordPress backup plugin. Meaning, most of its features are available for free.
But if you are looking for advanced features like site migrator, cloning, UpdraftPlus add-ons, etc. then you’ve got to purchase its premium version.
In order to secure a premium version of this best WordPress site backup plugin, you can subscribe to its yearly plan. Here’s a brief overview of its pricing structure –
- Personal – Initial payment of $70 with yearly renewal cost of $42/year for 2 sites.
- Business – For using UpdraftPlus on 10 sites, you’d have to pay $95 first ($57/year renewal cost).
- Agency – Similarly, for using it on 35 sites, the renewal costs increase to $87/year with an upfront charge of $145.
- Enterprise – Lastly, $195 for using UpdraftPlus on unlimited sites. The renewal charge is $117/year.
- Gold – This is a 3 in 1 package that includes unlimited sites license with all the UpdraftPlus premium features, add-ons, UpdraftVault, and UpdraftCentral.
Ever since BackupBuddy was first introduced in 2010, it has grown to become the premium best WordPress backup plugin.
Talking about the popularity, according to the BackupBuddy team, they are currently catering to over 500,000 customers. Since BackupBuddy is so efficient, its customer base is extremely diverse. It includes freelancers, agencies, bloggers, and even small to large businesses.
Pros Of Using BackupBuddy
- It offers a one-click backup facility from within your WordPress dashboard.
- While other best backup plugin for WordPress may backup only certain files, BackupBuddy can backup your entire site and its file along with the database.
- BackupBuddy is also known to create automatic backups through scheduling.
- After backing up your site, BackupBuddy offers a ZIP file to download.
- Apart from this, you can also save your backup files on cloud servers like BackupBuddy Stash, Google Drive, Dropbox, Amazon S3, etc.
- Unlike other WordPress backup plugins, BackupBuddy sends you an email, notifying you about the finished backup process.
- BackupBuddy is also stacked with an inbuilt backup restoration module.
- This backup plugin also facilitates WordPress migration from one host to another.
BackupBuddy is the best WordPress backup and restore plugin. Unlike other plugins mentioned in this list, it is available for purchase with a one-time fee.
Having said that, you also have an option to renew your BackupBuddy license every year. And, you also get to enjoy updates and support for a whole year.
- Blogger – $56 for using BackupBuddy on 1 site.
- Freelancer – For backing up 10 websites you’d have to pay $89.
- Gold – The unlimited site license is available at the cost of $140.
The team that created WordPress.com (Automattic) also came forward to create the best WordPress backup plugin i.e. VaultPress.
As of now, over 80,000+ customers are using VaultPress for backing up their sites. One of its most recognized and happy customers is WPBeginner. Yes, it’s that efficient and easy to use.
Pros Of Using VaultPress
- In addition to providing backup facilities, VaultPress also takes care of your WordPress site security.
- VaultPress is the only best WordPress site backup plugin that shows real-time progress of backup processes and security scans.
- This plugin also allows you to restore your site in just a single click.
- The backup files are kept securely in VaultPress’s own digital storage.
- Besides saving files in cloud servers, you also get an option to download the backup files.
- VaultPress also facilitates effortless site migration.
- With the help of VaultPress, you can also completely clone your website.
- In addition to being a powerful backup plugin, it can automatically detect and eliminate potential threats, viruses, and malware.
In spite of being launched as an independent plugin, VaultPress has become a part of the Jetpack plugin.
So if you want to use it, you must first get the access to Jetpack plugin. Keep in mind that Jetpack comes with tons of additional features like optimization, performance, security, etc.
- Jetpack Personal – $39 per year with automated daily backups, migration, spam protection, etc.
- Jetpack Business – $99 per year for backups, security scanning, ad-free video hosting, etc.
- Jetpack Professional – $299 per year with all the advanced features, backups, security, Google Analytics integration, etc.
This list of the best WordPress backup plugins would be incomplete if I do not include BlogVault. Yes, BlogVault is one of the top-rated and reliable backup plugins available in the market.
Talking about the popularity, BlogVault is the go-to backup plugin for at least 400,000+ websites. And, among so many customers, it also caters to some high-profile clients like Themeisle, Cloudways, WPCurve, etc.
Pros Of Using BlogVault
- BlogVault was the first WordPress plugin that supported multi-site backups.
- It automatically backups up your site as per the set schedule.
- Apart from backing up your site, it also allows seamless restoration even if your site is offline.
- BlogVault also offers its own cloud servers for staging your website. Merging the changes made in the staging site to the live site can be done in a single click.
- BlogVault boasts about being compatible with all the hosting services. This enables you to migrate your site easily.
- This is one of the rarest plugins that facilitate WooCommerce backups too.
- It provides backup archival from up to 90 days to 1 year.
- In addition to this, BlogVault is also packed with uptime monitor, malware removal, firewall, and other advanced features.
BlogVault is one such best WordPress backup and restore plugin that has the most extensive pricing structure.
The pricing is divided as per the usage volume i.e. Personal, Small Business, Developers, and Agency. And, each of these 4 plans has 3 sub-plans with different features.
- Personal – The first plan is named as Basic and comes at the cost of $7.4/month. Also, the subsequent 2 plans i.e. Plus and Advanced are chargeable at $12.4/month and $20.75/month respectively.
- Small Business – Similarly, the sub-plans of this plan are available at $16.58/month, $29.9/month & $45.75/month and offer 5 sites license.
- Developers – This plan would offer 20 sites license at the costs of $49/month, $79/month, and $149/month.
- Agency – At last, if you wish to acquire up to 50 sites license, you can get it for $69/month, $149/month, and $299/month. Also, to purchase a 100 site license, you’d have to pay $99/month, $199/month, and $499/month.
Duplicator is generally used for migration but in addition to this, it is also regarded as the best WordPress plugin. All thanks to its awesome features and simple usability.
Glancing over to the popularity chart, Duplicator is being currently used by 1+ million users. Moreover, it has been rated 5/5 stars on the WordPress repository.
Pros Of Using Duplicator
- A renowned plugin that offers World-class WordPress migration service.
- In addition to the site migration feature, Duplicator is also known for backing up sites.
- Duplicator allows manual backups and also automatic backups.
- The plugin enables you to safely store your files on various cloud storage like Amazon S3, One Drive, Google Drive, Dropbox, etc.
- It also supports backing up of the multi-sites network.
- You can merge or overwrite changes on the live existing site with the help of Duplicator.
- Duplicator backups the site with the blazing fast speed, irrespective of its size.
- It also sends email notifications to alert you about backup related issues.
Unlike other best backup plugins for WordPress, Duplicator has a very straightforward and simple pricing structure.
As of now, it has 4 different plans, each with different features and site licenses.
- Personal – $59 for using it on 3 websites.
- Freelancer – For using Duplicator on up to 15 sites, you’d have to pay $79.
- Business – $129 would grant you unlimited sites license.
- Gold – This plan offers lifetime access to Duplicator with unlimited sites license at $359.
If you want to see a classic example of exemplary German engineering then you should definitely have a look at BackWPup. It is regarded as the best WordPress backup plugin of 2020.
Because of such efficiency, it has managed to bag 4.4/5 stars rating on WordPress. Not to forget, it has a huge customer base of over 600,000+ users.
Pros Of Using BackWPup
- BackWPup is a synonym of a reliable freemium WordPress backup tool.
- It extends its backup capabilities to databases, files and, together, complete site backup.
- This plugin facilitates an automatic backup restoration option.
- Also, it provides a standalone app for restoring files & data in emergency situations.
- BackWPup provides the option of backing up files on several cloud storage apps as well.
- A unique feature that distinguishes BackWPup from other best WordPress site backup plugins is that it is integrable with Microsoft Azure.
- The newly developed feature of BackWPup enables you to encrypt backup archives.
- BackWPup makes sure to send you emails with the required log reports.
While all the other masterpieces of German technology may cost us a fortune, BackWPup is available to us at a modest price.
In simple terms, BackWPup offers 5 pricing plans with annual subscriptions. Mind you, the first payment is higher than the renewal fees. Here’s a quick overview –
- Standard – $48.30 for using BackWPup on 1 website.
- Business – To use on 5 sites, you’d have to pay $83.30.
- Developer – 10 sites license can be obtained by paying $139.30.
- Supreme – For using BackWPup on up to 25 sites, you’d be charged $195.30.
- Agency – Lastly, 100 sites license can be purchased by paying $244.30.
Now that you have explored the list of 5+ best WordPress backup plugin compared in 2020, it’s time for you to get one for your site.
I assure you, all the above-mentioned plugins are regarded as the best WordPress backup plugin. No kidding in this matter..!!
So, all you’ve got to do now is analyze your requirements, choose the best WordPress backup and restore plugin for your site.
This is a serious matter, and if taken lightly, it can cost you your life’s work. I would strongly advise you to not waste any more time in choosing the backup plugin.
Lastly, if you think I may have missed out on some other backup plugins then feel free to drop them in the comments section.