WordPress 4.3 named ‘Billie’ in honor of jazz singer Billie Holiday is the second major release this year. The latest WordPress release makes it even easier to customize your site and fixes many bugs.
Introduction to WordPress 4.3
In this article, I will tell you 5 main benefits of updating your WordPress to 4.3 Billie.
Important: Before starting the update Don’t forget to create a complete WordPress backup.
1. Create And Update Your Menu In Customizer
With every release, WordPress gives you some new features in the customizer. This time here comes the menus. You can create, assign and update your menu in the customizer while live-previewing it.
Customizer provides a faster, mobile friendly and accessible interface. However, the old method of adding navigation menus is still present if you don’t find the customizer comfortable.
2. Add a Site Icon or Favicon Through Customizer
Earlier versions did not have this feature. A site icon represents your site logo or icon in browsers tab, bookmark menu and home screen of mobile and other devices. Now you can add your unique site icon. Even if you change the theme it will stay there.
3. Faster Writing Flows With Formatting Shortcuts
Use asterisks to create list and number signs to make a heading. WordPress 4.3 comes with inline text shortcuts that automatically format text as you type.
It gives you an uninterrupted flow of writing with these formatting shortcuts. No more breaking of flow. Here are some examples:
Shortcuts for Lists
As you start your paragraph with these shortcuts it will be applied instantly. You can press backspace to undo this change.
* Bulleted list
– Bulleted list
1. Numbered list
1) Numbered list
Shortcuts for Headers
The following shortcuts are applied after you press Enter. You can press Escape or the Undo button to undo this change.
## Heading 2
### Heading 3
#### Heading 4
##### Heading 5
###### Heading 6
4. Improved approach to password
WordPress 4.3 comes with the new improved user interface for setting passwords. WordPress now generates strong, random and long passwords by default. However you can change it later, but if your password is weak you will need to confirm further the use by checking a tick box.
You will get a password reset link instead of getting it via email. WordPress will automatically generate a secure password when you add new users to your site or edit a user profile.
5. Improved Word Counts
If you keep an eye on the counter, this improvement is for you. Now the counter refreshes the count every time you stop typing. In previous versions, the counter was updated when you pressed enter or return to start a new sentence of the paragraph.
Additionally, the word count has also improved its accuracy by excluding more characters that shouldn’t be counted as a word. This benefits the bloggers who write technical articles which contain more codes. It also excludes shortcodes and HTML comments in the editor.
There Are Some More Features Added In WordPress 4.3
- Comments turned off on the page – Comments are turned off on pages by default in WordPress 4.3.
- Improved press this tool – Press this tool now comes with a text editor as well as visual editor.
- Improved list view – Admin area is improved on mobile devices and smaller device. Now the list view for WordPress posts, comments, and media looks great on mobile devices and smaller screens.
- New template singular.php – A new template file singular.php will now act as the default fallback for single.php and page.php templates.
- Quick link preview – Now you can easily edit and remove a link in the editor with the help of a simple toolbar with edit and delete button.
- Getting ready for PHP7 – WordPress is running its unit test to fully support PHP7 when it gets released.
For more developer-specific changes check out the Make Core blog.
As this is the major update, your site won’t update automatically. Please go and update your WordPress manually. Customizer is heading to become the most prominent feature of WordPress. Now you have the menu, themes, widgets, site icon in customizer itself. We are looking forward to more features to be added in customizer in future updates of WordPress. Don’t forget to leave any comments on what you think of WordPress 4.3!